- 1 egg
- 1 slice of bread
- salt and pepper
- Cut a hole in the middle of the slice of bread. If you don't have a circle cookie cutter, a perfect item to cut the hole with is the top of a glass.
- Heat a pan and place the bread in the pan.
- Toast the slices of bread on medium until light golden brown. Repeat on the other side.
- Put a little bit of butter in the hole in the bread.
- Heat the butter until very hot.
- Crack an egg in the hole (or crack it into a small cup and pour it into the hole. Whatever you are comfortable with).
- When the egg is fairly well set, turn the bread and egg over to cook the other side, being careful not to break the yolk.
- In the meantime, toast the cut out holes from the bread for dipping in the yolk.
- Salt and pepper as desired.
Voila! You can add toppings to this dish to give it a nice zing, such as cheese, hot sauce,tomato slices, fruit, syrup, etc.
Be patient. Once you have put the egg in the hole, you need to allow it time to ‘fuse’ to the bread by cooking. If you try to flip too early, the egg will simply drop out of the hole and you’ll have a mess. You can see the white cooking in the hole, so wait until it looks solid at the bottom, and then give it a nudge around the pan. If it stays put, you’re good to go.
I only had bread that is lacking in height, so my hole was very small, causing the egg to spill over onto the top of the bread. I was fine with it, but that is why it doesn’t look as neat! When I have some regular bread slices, I am going to try to perfect it. 🙂
I ate mine with orange slices and a glass of vanilla almond milk!
Let me know how it goes if you try it out! 🙂 Happy eating!