Fall is the season for
– finding the perfect pumpkin
– 13 Nights of Halloween on ABC Family
– cinnamon candles
– caramel apple pops
– stepping on crunchy leaves
…..pumpkin spice lattes.
I’ve never been one to fan girl squeal over a Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte. Did you know that there are ways to use pumpkin spices without resulting in a latte? What a crazy thought!
So this morning, I decided to do just that. I added a little spice — pumpkin spice, that is — to a hump day Wedneday and the result was nothing short of incredible.
Goldilocks better step aside because this pumpkin spice oatmeal is way more than just right.
- 1/2 C old fashioned oats
- 1/2 C milk
- 1 very ripe banana, sliced
- 2 big shakes of cinnamon (~ 1/2 tsp)
- 1/4 C pureed canned pumpkin
- 1 small shake ground cloves
- 1 small shake ground nutmeg
- ~ 1/2 tsp of brown sugar (optional)
- Walnuts or pecans (optional)
- Put the oats, milk, sliced banana, and cinnamon into a small pot on the stove. (This will also work in the microwave — simply combine all the recipe ingredients in a microwave safe bowl and mash the banana instead of slicing it. Cook on high for 2 minutes!)
- Stir continuously over medium high heat for about 5 minutes, or until the mixture gets thick and creamy (and starts slightly bubbling). Stir in the frozen blueberries now, if you'd like.
- Turn down heat to medium low and add in the canned pumpkin and a small shake each of ground cloves and ground nutmeg. Stir. Don’t skip these spices! They make this oatmeal turn from good to YUUUM!
- Turn off the stove and stir in your brown sugar and nuts. (Optional)
- Serve hot and enjoy!
Basically this meal was everything wonderful about fall warmed up in an unbelievable bowl of pumpkin spiced heaven. It tastes exactly like pumpkin pie! The ripe banana acts as a natural sugar, so if you opt out of the brown sugar, this is actually pretty healthy!
Instead of cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg, swapping for actual pumpkin spice could work as well. Pumpkin spice is cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and ginger mixed up together already.
Pumpkin spice will change your life. One giant bowl of oatmeal at a time.