Steps taken to feel better on 11/24/15:
- did a morning yoga routine
- made vegan vanilla pancakes
- did a coconut hair mask
- soaked my feet in floral bath salts my friend made for me
- exfoliated my hands and feet in a peppermint oil scrub
- put on a Lush coffee face mask
- painted my fingernails and toenails a deep cranberry red
- took a warm shower
- listened to Sylvan Esso on repeat
- watched the sun go to sleep around family of bare trees
- chatted on the phone with my friend in Albania
- drank a cup of hot tea
I’m home again and I’m very happy to be home. I love my family, I love my bed, I love being away from college culture, and I am back to feeling nice and calm again after an unsettling month of uneasiness. I have felt very far away from myself.
I am here to encourage you to pour yourself a glass of water, or make yourself a cup of tea or hot chocolate. Take a walk around the block, draw a picture, or sit in front of the fire. Do whatever you have to do to temporarily remove yourself from the chaotic flow of life, and reflect.
Think about what will bring you the most peace and satisfaction today. Forgive yourself for past mistakes, and accept that you are whole already and not missing parts.
Acknowledge that there is always room for growth, applaud yourself for how far you’ve come already, and love yourself without apologizing. You’ll be able to tackle the rest of your day or week with a softer heart and a clearer head.
There was no special occasion tonight; it’s ok to treat yourself just because you exist.